Update outdated device drivers
Locating outdated device drivers is not always an easy task. If you are lucky, the manufacturer will have the latest driver available for you or you will be able to discover another location where you can access a driver to replace your outdated one. It is important to update your device drivers on a regular basis.
Why is it necessary to update outdated device drivers?
Outdated device drivers can lead to the inability of a device to perform its function completely or it can hold back its performance to a less than perfect scenario. Outdated drivers can also lead to a computer system crash or bad system performance.
Use the Update Device Driver Wizard
· Install the hardware for the computer. Quite often this only involves plugging the device into an existing and available port.
· Reboot the computer if necessary.
· Allow Windows to install a device driver for the hardware for you.
· If Windows cannot locate the correct driver, it will present you with the option to use the Update Device Driver Wizard to locate a compatible driver or for you to select a driver from among the available list. If you select the option to use the Update Device Driver Wizard to locate a compatible driver, Windows will search through the files for you. If you choose to locate a driver on your own, you will be able to browse through the list of available drivers.
Access the website for the manufacturer of the device.
· Determine the manufacturer for the device that needs updating.
· Visit the website for the type of device that you need to obtain an updated driver for. Follow any prompts that appear throughout your search.
· Locate the section for the type of device that you are searching.
· Identify the model number of the device in the search for the updated device.
· Identify the operating system you are using before selecting the device driver.
· Download and install the update for the device driver.
Access an online driver directory
· Conduct a search for an online device driver directory.
· Select one of the online device driver directories from the list that you generate with your search.
· Visit the website for the directory and determine its usefulness for your intended purpose.
· Follow the directions on the directory’s website to locate the device driver that you need.
· Continue to follow all prompts when completing the search, download, and installation of the device drivers.
Use a Device Driver Scanner
· Conduct a search to discover a device driver scanner utility. Many of these are free to use, although some of them do charge a nominal fee.
In many cases, you will be instructed to download special software to scan the computer in order to determine which device drivers need updating. You must do so in order to proceed with your scan. The special software will scan your computer and identify which drivers are out of date, installing the ones that you need to update.
Not sure if you have outdated drivers on your computer?
Here's a free download that will scan your entire system in about 15 seconds.
Is your computer up-to-date?
"Highly Recommended Device Driver update tool."
16 Ways to Speed-up your PC
All Rights Reserved Copyright 2009 FastFastPC.comFeatured downloads: system compatibility and uninstall instructions